Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Suicidal Authors

The other day during a discussion of The Rape of Nanking, we spent some time discussing the author Iris Chang, her fight with depression, paranoia, and eventual suicide at a very young age. Coincidentally enough, I've been working my way through the complete works of Anne Sexton, and the combination of these two things got me to thinking about other authors who have killed themselves. I then decided to attempt to recall strictly from memory, modern-ish authors who have committed suicide. I came up with these four immediately:
  • Iris Chang (1968 - 2004)
  • Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961)
  • Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)
  • Anne Sexton (1928 - 1974)
With a little more thinking, I recalled:
  • Robert Howard (1906 - 1936)
Eventually I gave up and turned to the mostly reliable Wikipedia where I was confronted with a list of poets and literary figures who have taken their own life, but of course, 95% of them I'm not familiar with.

So if there are any you think I should aware of, but don't, let me know.

Until Next Time,
Alively Yours,
Michael

No comments: