Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Words of the Moment VII (The chronicle of an Earth Hour)

Last Saturday we celebrated Earth Hour - a movement started in Australia that is now observed in dozens of countries across the globe. Once a year on a specified Saturday in March, everyone shuts out all their lights and electronics - smart phones, televisions, computers, tablets, etc.

The Boss and I decided to celebrate this year with a game of Trivial Pursuit by candlelight (later that evening we found out that a lot of people celebrate this way). But who knew a simple board game, no lights, and an hour to kill could increase one's vocabulary. So without further delay:

eponymous --- The question was simple: "What was Aerosmith's eponymous debut album?"
I should have known the answer, but the cover art from Toys in the Attic was stuck in my head, so I second guessed myself and got it wrong. The lesson here? I didn't know the definition of eponymous. If I had known that, then I wouldn't have had to try to recall my Aerosmith history. I would have known that eponymous means self-titled. In other words, even if someone who has lived their entire lives under a musical rock could have gotten that answer correct by simply knowing the definition of eponymous.

wroth - All authors get into various ruts, one of those situations where things tend to repeat themselves, be it descriptions, explanations, plots, etc. and George R.R. Martin is no exception. This time, he's in a word rut. I don't know how many times he used the word "wroth" in the first four books of his A Song of Ice and Fire series, but I do know he went on a "wroth-spree" about midway through the fifth book, because it seemed like it was popping up every two pages. All things considered, I guess a lot of characters deserve to vent a little "wroth" - they're all probably angry at George for killing off all their relatives, angry for the harsh conditions of war, angry at the betrayals and politics as people try to position themselves for the crown. Well...you get the idea. A lot of anger floating around that narrative.

So there you have it. Two words you may never use unless you play Trivial Pursuit by candlelight or decide to read George R.R. Martin, but should they be needed, you now have them at your disposal.

Until Next Time...
Unwrothily Yours,
Michael

No comments: